If you are a die-hard non-veg lover, then this post will help you on how to cook brisket into a lip-smacking recipe. Brisket is a beef cut that requires tender cooking in order to break down the connective tissues. The main specialty of this cut is that it can be cooked fork tender and can be sliced at the same time. Besides, it can be cooked to yield a better beefy flavor as compared to the other pieces, such as chuck. You can get this cut from the market prepared in the form of pastrami, corned beef, and silverside that is soaked or preserved in salty water. Follow this post until the end to learn how to cook brisket into a mouth-watering recipe.
Table of Contents
Beef Brisket: An Overview
Brisket is a beef cut that should be cooked slowly rather than quickly. Its distinguishing feature, as compared to other slow-cooking beef cuts, is that it retains its shape and can be sliced even after hours of slow cooking. Other slow-cooking beef cuts such as chuck (as in Beef Stew), gravy beef (an Australian beef cut), and short ribs “fall apart quickly because there are more connective tissues running across the meat that break down with slow cooking.” You can see in this post that the brisket holds together and can be sliced. But the slices are ultra-tender and could be shredded easily.
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket with BBQ Sauce Recipe
In this recipe, you need to cook the beef brisket slowly until it gets tender. Once you are done, leave it in the oven basted with a homemade barbecue sauce for delicious caramelization. The below-given recipe can demonstrate how to cook brisket on a slow cooker to translate into a lip-smacking dish:
Ingredients For The Recipe
- Beef brisket quantity (1.5 – 2 kg / 3 – 4 lb)
- 1 tbsp olive oil or other alternatives like a neutral oil like vegetable, canola.
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 3/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For BBQ Sauce
- Two garlic cloves, minced
- Half cup / 125 ml apple cider vinegar
- One and a half cups / 375 ml ketchup
- Half cup / 110g brown sugar, packed
- Two tsp EACH black pepper, onion powder, mustard powder
- One tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- One tsp cayenne pepper.
Step-By-Step Instructions To Make The Recipe
Below is the recipe on how to cook brisket with a slow cooker with BBQ sauce:
- Mix Rub ingredients. Rub all over the brisket. If time allows, leave it for 60 minutes – 24 hours in the fridge.
- Next, you need to mix BBQ Sauce ingredients in a slow cooker. Once you complete mixing, add the brisket – squish it in if you want.
- Slow cook in a slow cooker for 8 hours (1.5 kg / 3 lb) to 10 hours (2 kg / 4 lb).
- Remove brisket onto a tray.
- Pour the liquid in a slow cooker into a saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat and reduce until it thickens to a syrup consistency (it thickens more as it cools).
- Meanwhile, brush the brisket with oil and roast for 15 minutes at 200°C/390°F, or until brown spots emerge. Return the baste to the oven for 5 minutes after removing it from the oven. Remove from the oven and baste again, then return for 5–10 minutes, or until it caramelizes and resembles the images.
Using the remaining BBQ Sauce, thinly slice the brisket around the grain and serve. This is mouth-watering served as a meal with sides or as sliders stacked high on rolls with Coleslaw.
Important Points You Need To Consider When Making The Brisket Recipe
This recipe can be made with any slow-cooking beef cut, but brisket works best because it retains its shape until cooked until tender and can be sliced. For more details, you may check it on Internet. The best sub is chuck beef roast that’s rolled and tied.
As seen in the video, the cook times produce a tender brisket that is sliceable but tender enough to break easily. Don’t be concerned about the cooking time; brisket is a cut of beef with fat that stays together well, even when cooked to the point of shredding. Also a 1.5kg / 3 lb slow-cooked brisket should be sliceable after 10 hours.
Tender brisket is tough and chewy, but don’t worry if you take it out too soon; just keep cooking!
- SLOW COOKER on HIGH: Same recipe, 4.5 hours for 1.5 kg / 3 lb or 5 hours for 2 kg / 4 lb. Follow the same directions.
- PRESSURE COOKER: Same recipe can help for 1 hr 15 minutes for 1.5 kg / 3 lb or 1 hr 30 minutes for 2 kg / 4 lb. You need to follow the same directions as above. If you’ve an Instant Pot, add 1 cup water (otherwise, you get the burn notice) and might need to reduce the sauce slightly at the end. You can go with the natural release, or wait for 15 minutes for the quick release.
Size Of The Brisket
- For an 800g – 1 kg / 1.6 – 2 lb piece of brisket, you can still slow cook for 7-8 hours on low as the cooking time is more for the width of the brisket and not the length.
- If you are taking a 2.5 – 3 kg / 5 – 6 lb brisket, slow cook for 10 hours on low.
Finish on BBQ
Brush the grills with oil and preheat the grill to medium. Place the beef on the grills and cook until browned, then flip and cook the other side. Baste the beef generously, transform it, and baste once more. Repeat until the brisket has a good caramelized glaze on it, then remove it.
How To Proceed Further
Cook the brisket slowly, but do not bake it, then move it to a storage container with the cooking liquid (do not reduce it) and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place only the brisket in a baking dish and cover. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F and bake for 20 minutes, or until thoroughly hot. Then turn up the oven to 200C/390F, remove the cover and proceed with the recipe to brown and baste the brisket surface. Transfer sauce into a saucepan and warm – you may not need to reduce. Use for basting per recipe.
Nutrition Per Serving Of The Brisket
Take a 2 kg / 4 lb beef brisket with some fat on its surface. The fat should not be trimmed. Ten servings, assuming all the sauce is consumed, offers lots of calories and nutrition.
Reading the full post can help you to find your answer on how to cook brisket into a delicious recipe. If you are a true food lover, then you can find more tasty recipes by reaching to our blog section.