A lot of women think that straight hair is the most stylish and effortless. This is true to a certain extent, but curly hair also has its advantages. If curly hair can be styled correctly, it can make you a style diva. Many women still love to get curls. Curly hair is often touted as a “summer essential”. The calm beach waves and curls are a classic example of a summer styling game. A lot of women with straight hair often ask how to curl your hair safely at their home. Well, there are many ways to get perfect curls by yourself. This article will mainly focus on how to curl hair with curling iron along with some tips and tricks to get an ideal curly hair to improve your style game.
You do not need to go to a salon to get curls. You can do it in your home. But, before you jump on the section to know the procedures, you need to note down some points. These tips will help you to style your hair without the damage. Prevention is always better than cure. Hence, some small preventive measures will help you to prevent hair loss.
Table of Contents
What to Keep in Mind Before You Curl Your Hair
Before knowing about how to curl hair with curling iron, let’s learn about some preventive measures for your beautiful hair.
Practice, Practice and Practice
Practising is the key. Since you want to curl your hair with a flat iron or curling iron, then you need to be comfortable with these electric gadgets. A lot of women accidentally burn their hair because they cannot use irons properly. Hence, it is better if you practise with a switched off iron to get an idea about how to curl your hair without damaging it.
A Heat Protection Spray is a Must
Any electric curling device uses heat to curl your hair. Excessive heat may damage your hair. That is because heat strips off the moisture from your hair and also damages the structure of the keratin. So, you need to use a heat protection spray. This hair product will help you to protect your hair from heat-related damage. It is better if you invest in a good quality heat protection spray or serum. Try to spray the mist at least six inches away from your face so that it does not cause any irritation. Also, apply it all over your hair.
Never Use Excessive Temperature
Any hair styling expert would advise you not to use the flat iron or curling iron in more than 392 degrees F. This temperature is the maximum temperature to get a safe curling experience minus the damage. Hence, you need to use your device within the said temperature.
Never Use Cheap Devices
You may be tempted to use more affordable stylish products, but that can be dangerous. Always use irons from reputed manufacturers to get a safe experience. Also, quality products are long-lasting and give better results.
Comb The Hair
Before applying irons, never forget to comb your hair. Detangling is necessary if you want proper curls. Detangling also ensures the styling is done correctly. Besides that, comb your hair after curling with a wide-toothed comb to separate the curls.
What Do You Need To Curl Your Hair?
Here are the essential products-
- Professional flat iron
- Professional curling iron
- Detangling comb
- Cutting or parting comb
- Thermal spray or on heat protection spray
- Stylish brush
Curling Your Hair With a Flat Iron
Flat iron or pure straightening iron can become handy to get beautiful locks. As you search for other ways apart from how to curl hair with curling iron, flat iron is your go-to option. You might be looking for a way not to use a curling iron for a particular occasion, so go for your regular straightener or flat iron. It is great for natural and loose curls.
Ribbon Curls With a Flat Iron
Ribbon curls or natural ringlets are great if you love bouncy hair. This is a straightforward procedure. You just need to take sections and wrap the hair around the iron. You need to pinch the iron to close it and rotate it slowly and slide it through the length of your hair. The turning and twisting with tension create ringlets and tight ribbon curls. These curls are long-lasting and become beach waves with each passing day.
- Take one or half-inch wide hair sections and spray heat protection spray over the length. Hold it in one hand and your flat iron in another hand. Hold the iron vertically.
- Pinch the hair section at the base and fold it on your iron. Slowly slide the iron downwards and release it. It will give you ribbon curls.
- Run your fingers through the curls and apply a hair spray to fix the curls.
- Use your styling brush and comb the hair through sections to make the waves relaxed.
- You can apply a light oil to cure the frizz and get some extra shine.
Push Waves or S Waves With a Flat Iron
If you love S waves then you do not need to have a curling iron, a simple flat iron would be enough. It is a better way to have natural curls.
- At first spray, heat protection sprays over your hair.
- Next, take horizontal sections and apply the flat iron near the scalp. Pinch the part with your index finger and thumb.
- Insert the curling iron before the pinched section and push the hair section after heating.
- Repeat the procedure by pinching and tapping the section alternatively. It would create an”S” pattern.
- After the curling session is complete, you will get loose natural waves that look mesmerizing.
How to Curl Hair with Curling Iron: Various Styles and Techniques
Curling irons are the most used machines for curling. This machine is versatile, and you can easily create different curling styles with a single curling iron. A curling iron can help you to get loose or tight curls as per your preference. You just need to wrap the hair around the barrel of the curler in a twisted or flat motion to get different curls. If you are looking for how to curl hair with curling iron, then here are some styles and techniques that you can apply-
Lazy Curls With a Curling Iron
You need one-inch curling iron for this style. You will get natural lazy curls which are sophisticated and looks great. Never forget to apply heat protection spray before curling your hair.
- Make a section of the hair and take it in the right angle from your scalp with the help of your thumb and index finger.
- Next, insert the barrel of the curling iron behind the section and use the flat wrap technique to wrap it around the barrel with your fingers. Never twist your hair if you are going for a flat wrap. After the wrapping is incomplete, hold it firmly with your iron and roll the iron towards your scalp. Give enough time so that the hair strand is adequately heated. If you do not know when to release the hair then simply put your finger on the hair which is in the iron. If the hair is hot, then you can release the hair. Repeat this process with each section of your hair.
- Run your finger through your hair and separate the curls. You can apply a hair spray to make the curled mane more flexible.
Flat Wrap Curls
If you love fuller curls that give a rough finish, then you can go for flat curls. A simple one-inch curling iron will be great for this style. You need to apply a hair spray before curling to protect it from damage.
This technique is simple. It revolves using wider sections of hair and flat wrap method to achieve a stylish look. You may need to adjust your hands and fingers with each strand. It does not need to twist the iron. For a voluminous hair follow these steps-
- After applying heat resistant spray, detangle your hair, so that it becomes easier to curl. You can choose the direction as per your preference- towards your face or in the opposite direction of your face.
- Take one and half an inch or two-inch section of hair if you want loose curls. If tight curls are your preference, then go for smaller parts of half an inch or one inch.
- Wrap the hair around the iron without twisting it. If you twist it, then you will not get flat curls. The direction is your preference.
- If you want full curls, then wrap the whole strand in the iron. If you wish for natural-looking curls, then leave the ends(two inches) of your hair.
Spiral curls look great in long to medium length hair. A simple one-inch curler is enough for this style. You just need to wrap the hair in a twisted style to get curled locks. Before you start curling your hair, spray hair protection spray over your mane generously.
- Divide your hair into smaller sections to get tighter curls. Twist the section and wrap it around your curling iron. Try to maintain the same direction to get even locks. The course depends on your choice. You can twist the hair towards your face or away from your face. Let the hair get heated. You need to give time for healing because the curls can collapse if they are not appropriately heated.
- Remove the iron and let the strand cool down. Repeat the process with each section.
- After the procedure is complete; run your fingers through the curls to separate them.
Red Carpet Waves With a Curling Iron
If you want to be a style diva, then this curling procedure is specially made for you. It is excellent for a party or special occasion. This process will give you curls like red carpet celebrities. This technique involves the spiral wrapping technique. It may seem complicated but gives gorgeous curls.
- Prep your hair with a hair spray and detangle it.
- Next, separate the section with your fingers so that it comes in at the right angle to your scalp.
- Twist the hair while wrapping the hair around the barrel of the curling iron. You just need to wrap, twist your thumb up and down and cover the strand again for a better wrapping technique. Move the curling iron in the opposite direction to get firm curls. This happens because the tension increases.
- Repeat the above process with each of the hair strands to complete the styling. Patience is the key to achieve this tyle. You may ask another person for help if needed.
- After the curling is complete, run your comb through your hair and separate the curls.
- Apply hair styling spray for shiny curly hair.
How to Curl Hair With Curling Iron: For Short-Length Hair
Having short hair does not mean that curls won’t look goodon them. Women with shorter hair can also rock the curly mane style with ease. Hence, if you are looking for how to curl hair with curling iron for short haired, then you can relax and read this article to get pro tips.
The truth is, that shorter hairs are more comfortable to curl because of the small length. Short hair with curls looks stylish and chic. Bobs and lobs with curls are often considered a look for the style diva. Read the following tips to get amazing curls for your short hair.
But before, you go on curling, and you need to follow some general rules-
Wash Your Hair
If you want fuller locks with proper curls then never forget to wash your hair before curling it. Shampooing the hair also cleanses it and prevents weighing down the hair.
Apply Heat Protection Spray
You need to apply heat protection spray all over your hair. Shorter length does not prevent the damage.
Curling Your Hair With a Curling Iron
- Start curling the hair with a 1 1/4 inch curling iron. Start curling the hair from the root with twisting and wrapping around the iron. For very short hair, a simple tousled look is stylish.
- After curling, shake them to loosen them up and run your fingers through the hairs to lift them.
- After this apply styling spray and style it as per your preference.
Curling Your Short Hair With a Flat Iron
Applying flat iron in your short hair can be difficult but becomes more comfortable with practice. Here are the instructions to curl your hair with the flat iron-
Choose The Right Iron
You need to be careful about the flat iron if you have short hair. Invest in high-quality irons with ceramic plates. For short hair, flat irons with half to one-inch width are best. For pixie cut or extremely short hair, it is better if you have a narrower flat iron.
Section Your Hair Wisely
It is also essential in case of shorter hair. Smaller parts work best for short hair. Make sure to have even sections even if you have small hair strands. You can secure your hair with duckbill clips for convenience. You can also section your hair in two layers to curl easily.
Preparation is The Key
Even if you have short hair, heat protection spray mists are a must. If you curl your hair regularly or more than thrice a week, then you need to protect it to prevent the damage. Apply the spray all over your hair and comb it to get an even layer.
Twist and Curl
Start curling your hair from the lower halves because these hairs are shorter in length. Start curling with one-inch sections. Twist each section and clamp the part between the plates of your hair and twist away from your face. This will make curling easier.
Complete The Session
Complete the curling of each section and repeat the previous step until the whole mane is curled.
After curling, shake it and run your fingers through your hair to loosen the locks. Apply to style and hold serum or hairspray to complete the hairstyle.
After the curling session is over, you can style it as per your preference. The best way is to keep the hair down and flaunt the curls. Otherwise, you may go for a simple ponytail or side ponytail. You can also go for hair accessories like clips, combs or flowers to make a style statement.
With this kind of tips and tricks for short and long hair, we tried to give detailed information on how to curl hair with curling iron or by flat iron. Both the irons are good for your hair but you should understand your need first before use. Apart from that, you can use both for different occasions. So, what are you waiting for? Go, and use this information for making your hair curly and wavy.
Frequently Ask Questions
Q1: How to curl hair with curling iron without causing damage?
Ans: To minimize damage, make sure to apply a heat protectant spray before curling, use a lower heat setting on your curling iron, and limit the amount of time the hair is exposed to heat. Additionally, avoid wrapping the hair too tightly around the barrel and give your hair regular breaks from heat styling.
Q2: Can I curl my hair with a curling iron if it’s naturally straight and doesn’t hold curls well?
Ans: Yes, you can still curl straight hair with a curling iron. To help the curls hold better, consider using a smaller barrel size, apply a lightweight hairspray or styling product for hold, and allow the curls to cool completely before touching them. You can also try curling your hair in smaller sections to create more defined curls.
Q3: How can I achieve loose waves instead of tight curls with a curling iron?
Ans: To create loose waves, opt for a larger barrel size (around 1.25 to 2 inches). Take larger sections of hair and wrap them loosely around the barrel. Don’t leave the hair on the curling iron for too long, and once you release the curl, gently tousle it with your fingers to loosen it up.
Q4: Is it necessary to use a curling iron with a clamp, or can I use a wand-style curling iron instead?
Ans: It’s a matter of personal preference. A curling iron with a clamp provides a more secure grip on the hair and can be easier to use, especially for beginners. However, a wand-style curling iron allows for more flexibility in creating different types of curls and waves, as you can wrap the hair around the barrel without a clamp.
Q5: How long does it typically take to curl hair with a curling iron?
Ans: The time required to curl your hair with a curling iron depends on several factors, including the thickness and length of your hair, the size of the sections you’re curling, and your experience level. On average, it can take anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes to curl an entire head of hair with a curling iron. Starting with smaller sections and practicing will help you become more efficient over time.